View Single Post
      08-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

Been a Model 3 LR(not AWD Performance) owner since July 2018, and have driven a friend's M3P many times.

If you are used to Audi interior quality, it may take you some time to adjust to the Model 3's interior.

Charging, charging, charging. You definitely want to make sure your house/apartment can accommodate the charging equipment (using standard 110v will be a major PITA), but seeing you are in DMV area the range/charging should be much less of a concern than Texas lol

Quality between the Model 3 and M3P should be similar, I will start with the problems I ran into so far:
1. Just had the 12V battery replace under warranty last week, not sure why but it just went out, had similar things on Hondas before, and Tesla mobile service took care of it without having to go to service centers.
2. Rattles, nothing crazy, I have seen far worse on a G20 M340i.
3. The center control LCD may need restart from time to time, in the last two years I had to do it maybe 4 times or so. Usually to fix some of the software not working, once to fix the AC not blowing cold. Overall much better software quality than any BMW I have seen given all the things you can do.
4. Had to manually unlock the charging port maybe 3 times? Nothing major just the release getting stuck, pop the trunk, pull the cable, and that's it.
5. Try not to get hit. My car was hit by another driver and it was in a certified repair shop (Tesla's repair center doesn't do major collisions) for, 4 months? waiting on parts.

As for the performance/handling:

It's fast, and quick. I have driven some fast cars, like Z06, but the M3P is nearly as fast if not faster, and feels much quicker due to the instant power. Power is also much smoother than and gasoline car, you will love it.

Handling is good, more than enough for daily, but you if you track the M3P, it will reach the vehicle's handling limit sooner than E9x M3 or other serious sports cars on track (all in stock form, this is from my friend who owns the M3P, and he's a very experienced track driver)

Ride comfort is great in the Model 3, a bit worse in M3P, primarily due to the lower profile tire and potentially stiffer tires as well, but perfectly tolerable for the performance (and price) of the car.

Another thing is Tesla will keep on changing the price of the car throughout the year, some people I know hates it and think it devalues their car, but not an issue for me, this is different from traditional manufactures. Also rumor is there is a 100kwh battery testing in Model 3s.

If you can, get a referral code from a Tesla owner friend, that will give both of use some free supercharging miles.