View Single Post
      08-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Coincidentally, my favorite automotive journalist (and ex-BMW enthusiast) just posted a mini instagram review of the Model 3. BTW his instagram reviews are awesome and quite enjoyable to read. Anyways, Jason always tells it like it is, no BS, so to see his praise for the car really shows its excellence.

Here's the review for those without instagram.
"Verdict Tesla Model 3 Performance: all things considered, the best sedan in the world.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Tesla loaned me this DMP leading up to my Polestar 2 drive. Verdict coming shortly.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
There's a reason every ex-BMW M3 driver I know now drives a Tesla M3. It's the best M3 there is.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Perfect? No. But the good so dramatically outweighs the bad that this car is no-brainer for any logic-based human.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
The good: Tourette's-inducing acceleration. Quickest and most precise steering of any sedan in the world. Great ride, huge grip, great driving position, feels half its weight. Staggering efficiency. Simple and functional interior. Industry's best infotainment. Excellent headlights. Autopilot works well on the open road and recognizes bikers, cones, stop signs, traffic lights. SO COOL.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Overall experience is so far ahead of every other car: it has no key and no on/off button. Other example: lights switch on *as* you enter a tunnel, because it knows what a tunnel looks like — rather than having a dumb sensor say "oh wow now it's dark so I will turn on the lights." That kind of (artificial) intelligence makes every other car incomparable.⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
The bad: I'm nitpicking, there's not much. Center touchscreen menu structure and UX is well-organized, but I still want a screen in front of me with speed, turn-signal indicators, and nav instructions. Suspension is underdamped; loses composure and heaves in an undignified manner as it nears cornering limits. This body shape really should be a hatchback. Drift mode doesn't get close to the predictability and natural responses of, say, Porsche Taycan. Great infotainment, but I still want CarPlay to interact with texts. Seats could be more supportive. AEB/FCW is occasionally hysterical. ⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
If you read a professional review that bashes the Model 3 bc of build quality, know that reviewer hasn't actually lived with the car. Because imperfect panel gaps don't interfere with the experience, and this car is without peers. (Until the Polestar 2.)⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
I forgive you if you want an Alfa Giulia QV for emotional reasons, but I won't be surprised when you buy a Model 3 instead.⁣⁣⁣"