06-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I had a GTI and really enjoyed it. I just never should have modded it past APR Stage 1. Once I went to Stage 2, that's when putting the power down became much more costly. I really don't mind FWD on my Hybrid, but not another sports/sporty car. I'd rather have RWD or AWD. And after driving both the Golf R and S3, I really don't mind the FWD bias on the haldex system. I think it all just comes down to what type of look you're going after. From what I've seen though, the S3 used prices come down a lot faster than the Golf R. So buying new makes more sense for the VW. If buying used, you can get an S3 that was MSRP for $50K in the $30k range. Similarly used Golf Rs are still in the $30k range despite selling for $39-40k new.
Well said. There are a lot of moving pieces to consider. If you're purely looking for value play and do a lot of highway driving and need a nicer "package" for driving clients or whatever a CPO S3 makes a lot of sense. Haul a bunch of crap just around town? GTI. The FWD bias is a non issue if you plan to just put a bunch of turnpike miles on the car. Track time that becomes an issue.

That's why they don't make just one car though
Appreciate 0