Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3dict View Post
I had to revive this because I'm in the market for a Z4 now as my 340's lease is up...

I've read a lot of reviews and watched a lot of videos of both cars.

The Z4 is a convertible... That in itself puts it in a different class then the Supra. I personally would look harder at the Supra if it had MORE power out the of gate but it doesnt.

Also - Now that it is 3 months later (seems like time has stood still though) I'm curious what the future holds for the Z4. My dealer has stated no new manufacturing of the 2020's will take place and the details on the 2021's have not surfaced.

I'm curious if they will kill the line or give it some type of true M treatment. If they but the S58 in that little body it would really be one hell of a sports car.

edit: It seems an admin moved this post from another thread and put it here... Obviously totally out of context and half of it doesn't make sense.
The Magna Steyr plant in Austria (where the Z4 is manufactured) had been shut down due to Covid-19. I think I read somewhere that they are just now slowly opening production back up. That doesn’t mean all the suppliers are open yet and ship parts. So that’s probably why they are no longer producing new custom ordered 2020’s. Dealers will probably be able to order 2021 in the June or July time frame (based on history).

BMW has pretty much stated that they plan to produce the G29 Z4 for about 4 or 5 years, and unless something significantly changes in the market, there won’t be a direct successor.

Personally, and that’s pure speculation on my part, I am hoping they continue partnership with Toyota and/or another partner. I am also hoping they see the relative success of the Corvette (first time Corvette will be offered in international markets) and see that there is indeed a market. Hoping people opt for the convertible C8 more than the coupe version. But hope dies last.... even though rebellions are built upon hope. Still, given it was something like 12 years between the prior Z4 and the G29, I wouldn’t hold my breath that we’ll see much more than a very mild LCI refresh, and production may indeed stop for a couple of years after 2024 (last year of production).
Appreciate 1