View Single Post
      04-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #132
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
The 997 is what 15 years old now? A car that was developed in the early 2000s should be all you need to know. I prefer my 991.2S, my 718 GTS and even my Macan GTS over either my M3 or M4 that I owned - they are fun at any speed whereas the M cars aren’t even really fun driving fast because you have to hear the god awful sound of the thing. I don’t get the feeling that the current M cars are special...at least not comparably. The old Ms had engines that were great when they were high revving but in the turbo world, they don’t do it for me.
Porsches current line up continues to be some of, if not the best, cars on the market.
Yes...but here's where current gen M cars still win:

A CPO F8X can easily be had for $45-$55k depending on what you're grabbing. In the Porsche range, you probably can't do much better than a pre-owned Cayman for that price and I'd take the F8X in that case. Even a pre-owned 718 GTS is going to cost you $70k+.

Would I prefer a Cayman GTS or any 991 911 over a F8X? Yes...but you're talking 40% more for the prior and almost double the cost for the latter.

Point is, M still wins on value, and price point does play a role in these debates.