View Single Post
      08-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Oil Evaporation?

Hey all. 2020 Hyundai Veloster needed a new engine at 5k miles - replaced under warranty after I raised holy hell. It was consuming a quart of oil a week, with no leaks and no evidence of smoke out the exhaust. Engine sent back to factory for analysis. I'll probably never hear what the story was - most likely rings or valve seals I'm guessing, but not enough to see smoke.

Service advisor's first response was "engine runs hot and evaporates oil". Which is a load of BS. I think. Isn't it? I mean at certain high temperatures I believe oil can evaporate, but:

a) - this is synthetic oil, so very low rates of evaporation
b) - this engine should not be running at those kinds of temps. Even my N54 and N55, which presumably run hotter than the Veloster 2.0, don't evaporate oil that I'm aware of.

Ok, so new engine installed. Flash forward two weeks, and the alternator comes loose - bolt fell out. Had to tow the car back to the dealership. I'm about to raise some real holy hell this time , but want to be armed with ammo for their "evaporation" story. Any info from you oil experts is appreciated.