View Single Post
      11-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #485
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It is interesting to see that Porsche still does their exclusive sports cars amongst the mainstream yet BMW does not? Then what is the M2 or even the M4 GTS?
Scott

I own 5 BMWs now: 01 330Ci (in Europe), 01 330Ci, 01 E46 M3, 12 X5 35i, 13 E92 M ZCP

The M division continues to function. M annoyed me with the switch the turbo engines but I recognize that is inevitable with the amount of emissions/consumption scrutiny of modern cars.
BMW pulled an Apple, who swore by their old IBM processors saying they were much better than x86 ones, then from one day to another switched to the regular x86 processors and proclaimed the new ones were several times faster than the old.
People who have functioning brain cells immediately caught that it was impossible for IBMPower to be 3x faster than Intel, then for Intel to switch to being 4x faster than IBMPower.
In much the same way, you cannot talk about the advantages of high revving engines and individual butterflies for twenty years and then move to an all turbo lineup and call it better than the old.

The M5 and X5 M continue to be benchmarks in their segments. The F8X M also is, as it still wins comparisons. I'm sure the ZCP will fix the small issues it has.

To sum up, the M2 and GTS are nice to have around. However, this is not enough.
BMW was what Porsche is now, in other words, all BMW cars used to drive well. This is absolutely no longer the case.
Porsche gets the piece of junk platform of the Q5/Tiguan and makes the Macan, a great driving little SUV. I hope BMW's X4 'M' drives well, but even if it does, it will be the single 'good' X3/X4 car to drive. Every single Macan drives well.

The m235 is a step in the right direction, but do you understand that before all BMWs drove like that? The regular 3/5/7 series are the laughing stock of the automotive press, it is just humiliating as a BMW owner who believes in 'the ultimate driving machine'.
There is zero reason for a BMW to now drive like a floaty barge when all your competitors -even ones based on FWD piece of crap platforms- drive like BMW was supposed to drive.

For you to point out that there are still 5 BMWs you can buy which resemble ultimate driving machines is of little consolation. Before every single model was pleasant to drive.
Appreciate 2