Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
The Pilot Sport All Season 4 (AS4) is an excellent tire but not in the same performance level as the Pilot Super Sport (PSS), Ultra High Performance All-Season vs Max Performance Summer. Most will warn you to never mix the two. I agree you should never intentionally mix tires but, in your situation, I say it depends upon how you plan to drive it.

In a nutshell, the PSS is focused on maximum performance while the AS4 compromises just a little bit of performance to allow it to perform better in cold weather, something the PSS does not do well.

If you drive aggressively, you should probably have the PSS tires all around. Because it will cost you around $700 to replace the two tires, it may be worth time and effort to convince your selling dealership to put the matching tires on the back.

On the other hand, if you drive conservatively, I believe your tire situation will be fine. When your front tires wear out, replace them with the AS4 tires to match the back. The AS4 typically gets nearly twice the mileage of the PSS before needing replaced. FWIW, I plan to replace my PSS with the AS4 when my tires need replaced. My opinion on this will be far from the most popular though.
I totally agree about the dealer replacing the all season tires and going with the PSS. Make a point that they didn’t inform you they were mixing the two types of tires and it’s not acceptable!
Appreciate 0