Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
people looking for a number I would rather have 440 hp that actually makes it to the ground as opposed to 501 hp that can't all be put to the ground.

What am I saying.. most of these people will never use all 475 hp.. they just want to crow that their car won a magazine test or won the Hp wars on paper.
Yes indeed. the disappointment will be strong .
Yeah, not sure where it will end. The market demands more HP with each rendition, as well as lower 0-60 times. Car manufacturers all play the game to keep up, with BMW being arguably slightly slower than MB or Audi to bow to market pressures (at least with their M cars). Any number of inexpensive modern cars can beat my E39 M5 and Z4M coupe to 60 mph these days, but my older Ms are so fun to drive because you can actually use a lot of their power in daily driving. Not so much with my F80, between how powerful it is and the need to not go sideways on the street! The F80 is a fun car, but to really understand it you almost have to be on a track.

Sure, I want a modern version of the E39 M5 for my next DD - it would be lighter due to aluminum and composite carbon, MT only (hah!), RWD, 400 hp, 370 lb ft, normally aspirated. A last hurrah, then, before electric cars take over the earth (and I have to admit, I DO worry about pollution). Unfortunately, I'd probably be the only buyer...
+1. However it'll be difficult to get that TQ/HP ratio with out using forced induction. Performance wise I suspect the current 340 is probably very close to the e39M5. Those E-series cars definitely had a different feel about them. I can only explain it as "solid-but-nimble".

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
KevinM2935.50