04-24-2021, 02:32 AM   #90
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
We will have to agree to disagree. Cars don't facebook while they drive. Cars don't text while they drive. Cars don't gawk at other car wrecks when they drive. Cars know to slow down for certain conditions. Humans are stupid idiots. "To err is human" is perfectly put. The only way we learn is to F up - and usually we have to do it many times before we learn too.

You are right - we don't do it right - but we never have and I don't see how you could think that is getting better. What we are doing better is making cars that help us survive it better - because we know humans are too stupid to just stop having wrecks. Car wrecks that killed people 40 years ago - people walk away from today. Amazingly so.

I for one thing self driving cars will be safer that human driven cars someday in my lifetime. Planes can land by computers today, so I don't see a huge leap from that. Only one way to find out....... =)
Please stop comparing aviation automation to ground transportation automation, they are completely different things. Planes may be able to land under computer control under certain conditions, but the main reason is air traffic control keeps other traffic out of the way.

To go full autonomous driving (no human interface controls in the vehicle) that will return your prospective zero-kill scenario will require a completely controlled driving environment. That will be incredibly expensive. To get to that state, will be even more expensive. It would be far less expensive to improve driver education, enhance driver retraining, make it way harder to retain driving privileges, and provide private transportation services to individuals who just can't learn to drive or lack the capability to drive safely.

Non-distracted computers are not going to solve the problem. Computers get distracted too.
Appreciate 0