View Single Post
      10-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #26
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
Had several E30's, 318is, 325i, 325is. Agree that they are the top. But now they feel antique.

I have driven all of the above with the G20 cars.

I'd substitute the 128 in the line up as a logical 3 series successor after the e46 went away. The E9* series cars left the design ethos of the 3 behind and the car lost its way . a bit. The e8* really was the logical three series extension (bar the lack of 4 doors).

That car I'd put as first on the list. Above the E30.

I've always maintained that the 128i sport/ m sport was what the E30 325is would have been if it grew up and the modern 330i. Proper Hp to weight with emphasis on handling but no compromise in terms of ride or daily function.

Where does that car fit on that list for you.
Yeah, the E82 is even smaller than the E36 (albeit heavier with today's features,) so it could almost be argued that it's the logical successor to the E30.

That being said, the E82 is a 2+2 without the option of a rear middle seat, so that makes things a little different. The E82 also doesn't have that plain, boxy, Teutonic design that Chris Bangle was trying to get away from. With its sweeping lines, 2+2 arrangement, tall green house, yet still muscular appearance, the E82 kind of reminds me of the modern incarnation of an Alfa 105 series coupes, which isn't all that crazy, since Bangle has a history in designing cars for Fiat and Alfa.

Last edited by duder13; 10-03-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0