View Single Post
      06-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #15
Jerfish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Interesting about the Targa because I am thinking about on instead of the Z4. Did you have the standard seats?

I found the visibility with the top up in the Z4 to be really poor.

I only driven the Z4 3.0 so far and it was totally underwhelming.
They were the alcantara seats that the GTS has standard. Visibility was fine with the top up in the Targa I'd say, but the wind noise was higher, and the buffeting was terrible with the windows up - I had to keep playing with differing levels of lowering the windows on both sides to keep it at bay. No matter what position I had the seats, they never felt quite 'right'.

I didn't have the adaptive steering for low speed soft touch, and after rotator cuff surgery found parking lots to be a bit cumbersome. Plus, at 2500 miles the water pump cracked due to a manufacturer defect and they had to flat bed her 2 hours away for repair. They didn't have the part anywhere in the US and had to order it from Germany. When things like that happen in a $168k car with low mileage and only local roads/highway driving, I couldn't prevent my disappointment from rising up. I decided the cost of insurance, yearly maintenance, and interest on the loan added up to a poor experience after that issue, plus the comfort, and parted with her.

That's not to say it was a bad car (maintenance issue aside). Fantastic power in the GTS. The (I feel) awesome looks of that bubble glass back. The AWD hookups around bends, etc...a blast in so many ways, and I'm thankful I had one for a year. I'm sure whomever purchased her next is loving her - just wasn't for me in the end - but may be perfect for you depending on what you are looking for!

Overall I find the M40i Z4 is more comfortable of a ride, more comfortable yet supportive seats, and has plenty of power for my use. Plus the technology/infotainment unit is much superior. It will never have the cornering performance of the 911, it will never beat it on a track day - but she's no slouch and I am enjoying the Z4 much much more. Plus I can finally drive with the top down and my wife in the vehicle - she never let me drive the Targa open due to wind hitting her and the noise. Realistically the Z4 is more poised to go against a Cayman/Boxter anyways - which likely it'd also lose to on track day - but still fits me better as it feels like a bigger car inside and again - I wanted more comfortable performance. Plus I'm not going to a track day - Maybe autocross Solo II at most.

But, just an opinion I'd recommend if you haven't getting as long of a test drive on the Targa as you can, then go back after the honeymoon drive.
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00