07-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #16
SMD001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15'SLK55,11'GSvette,22'Z4M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcdr View Post
A good question, but, I think, a moot point. People who want a 2 seater roadster/convertible will find them. Particularly in this day and age of media.

This is the same discussion on the Fiat 124 spider forums. Very little advertising means no one knows it exists. But does it [mean that]?

I have never seen an ad for any car I have ever purchased (anecdotal, to be sure). Looking at the sales numbers for bmw across the board, the compact SUV range seems to be up in double digits.

I think anyone who wants a 2/4 seater convertible knows where to look. I’m not sure how many people would move to a convertible from any other vehicle if the choice was suddenly available.

Maybe I’m wrong; I know I am certainly swayed by advertising (particularly product placement), it makes me want to consider purchasing something, but only if I’m in that market. Show me 10 ads for a bmw X series will not entice me to buy an X since I don’t want a compact SUV/crossover. It would be different if I was in that market, but I’d already have found the bmw as an option; it’s is possible I’d be swayed, significantly.
There is a limited market for cars like ours and you are correct that those who want them know where to find them. Those looking for these are seeking a car that is NOT going to be a daily driver(present company excepted) but a weekend fair weather toy. The value of marketing is not justified or value added. Marketing has to go towards market competition and that’s in SUV’s.
Appreciate 0