Thread: Soft Top Care
View Single Post
      06-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
Geradeaus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
I just recently read a piece from the manufacturer of soft top material concerning maintenance and they say you should only wash the top when it gets stained (bird droppings, tree sap, etc.). Before each car wash you should vacuum the top to remove dust and debris so that it doesn't turn to "mud". BMW suggests retreating the top with protectant after every third wash or so.

I treated my top with Chemical Guys cleaner and protectant (two different bottles) and it looked great with the water dancing around in small beads. I was washing the top with each car wash (about every two weeks) but with the above knowledge will now change my proces. It was a pain draping the car with plastic to keep the protectant overspray off the paint and I don't really want to do it again after only six weeks or so. My car is garage kept and when I'm on the road the top is always down (rainy season just starting) so my hope is it won't really need more than the quick vacuum.

I've seen opinions that using a sticky roller actually leaves some glue behind which will then attract dirt / dust more. For what it's worth.
Appreciate 3
CJ4211566.50