01-15-2024, 08:13 PM   #39
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cilas View Post
And what about these “folding” marks. Is it normal? Is there a way to avoid them? I care it may become a tear spot.
Don't worry so much about the folds as the wear marks. They're easy to notice because they tend to be shinier than surrounding material. Wear marks typically indicate something isn't aligned quite right and eventually they'll wear completely through if not fixed.

I don't recall any G29 owners with the problem but my memory is not as good as it once was.

I've seen the problem with Miata and MINI Cooper convertibles and the top gets replaced if significant enough and still under warranty. It's important to keep an eye on and report before warranty expires if it happens. Replacement labor is significant enough that service departments will frequently replace the entire top assembly (well over $5K) rather than the $3K+ fabric.

There are some posts in this forum regarding a strap on the inside that is prone to break. If that occurs under warranty, they'll typically replace the entire top rather than repair the strap.
Appreciate 4