View Single Post
      10-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #99
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I used to think that too, and in some cases it may be. Our first had colic, I think she too a bottle twice in her life, and it was when she was basically asleep. To make it worse, my wife is a nurse, and at the time she was working nights. (all the memories are beginning to flood back in) I don't have time for it now, but I could write the longest post in history about the first year or two.

My message to first time parents, if you are struggling with the first kid, it doesn't mean you are messing up, you may just be dealing with your 'difficult' child. (by the way, the difficult ones stay difficult...you have been warned)
This is so true! Our first was extremely difficult, he was being followed by doctors as potential failure to thrive because he flat out refused to eat most of the time and his eating was like one or two bites, falling off the growth chart and losing weight. Slept like a champ though - probably because his body was trying to conserve energy.

1st year was honestly like a version of hell for us. We were at each others throats and I wasn't a very good father to him either and I'm still bothered by that. Took me probably 8 months before I could honestly say I loved him. Somewhere around 1.5 years he turned it around though and started eating more or less normal amounts, which we were ecstatic about.

Now, he eats awesome, pretty much anything and everything and a decent amount of it, but he's difficult for other reasons. Namely he seems to be very intelligent and he's exploring that in ways that make him difficult, because there will be a few times where he'll trap us in our speech...and getting played by a 5 year old is pretty humiliating, I'll be honest. We love him and love his personality, but he inherited a double dose of stubbornness from each of us and that combined with his intelligence, I suspect he's always going to be a difficult one. In a good way too though.
Appreciate 0