View Single Post
      08-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #30
FLYIN'
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, M550i, X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4C View Post
Appreciate the heads up. I am signed up for Sunday and based on what you said may skip it. Hopefully someone can confirm tomorrow that the g80 isn’t there. Also, did you get OL code? Sounds like the driving element was poor (I also got the email) so was hoping to at least see the g80.
You mean the QR code in the e-mail then yes I had one of those. I arrived last one in my group ( there were 6 of us) at about 30 minutes before my allotted time. I had encouraged 5 of my work colleagues to sign up as I had told them how cool these events ( especially M track days) were in the past. Well when I did these in the past the sessions were about 2-3 hours and varying things such as ABS braking, maneuvers, and finally full autocross sessions in 2 cars with about 4 4-5 lap circuits. All those used to be with the instructor next to you so the instruction was very beneficial.

Fast forward to Covid-19 UDE and you get a 1 hour session that has mediocre instruction over the radio. Of our group of 6 we realized that all but one of the 4 instructors on the radio had any clue of what was going on. We looked at most runs and laughed at the slow speed that most people were going around the course. Most of the instruction was disjointed, late commands and consisted of the instructions to slow down in order to get a better time around the course. Well if you don't have a timer on the course how the heck can you determine how well someone is going around the circuit?

The session included 15 minutes of the moderator telling us how great he was, how many ultra expensive fast cars he has raced and glancing over the finer points of how to make it around a corner by going in slow and out fast. Then there was the 5 minute pitch for signing up for a Performance Center day at a 20% discount. Then off you go into what was ( for most folks) 3 laps in an M340i at about 1 minute per lap each, sit out a few turns then 3 laps in the M235xi, sit out a few turns and do that over again. Twice the moderator mentioned that this was his second favorite group of the day as it was the one before lunch. I took that his favorite group was the last one of the day!

This was a huge letdown compared to the M track day at Monticello just 11 days ago. Sure I paid $995 for that full day session but this was truly half assed in the execution. I really hope I was unfortunate enough to get a bad group as I really had a blast at these in all past events ( done about 8-9 UDE's now, advanced 2 day M school at Thermal CA, and 3 M track days). I'm hoping others don't come away with the same experience but my coworkers were not that impressed either. I would like to hear other impressions of the event from those that attend.
'21 BMW X5 45e M Sport
Appreciate 0