View Single Post
      09-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #18
AustinPowers007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have owned BMWs for almost 50 years and been in touch with thousands of fellow BMW owners. Since I don't make the corporate decisions for BMW, I don't make any assumptions about their knowing how to run their company. The 6MT is only available in the 2.0 Z4 which is not imported to the US. Therefore the US has no 6MT.

BMW must have each engine and transmission combination certified for sale in USA, which includes meeting emissions and fuel economy testing. This certification is time consuming and expensive. Limiting the combinations makes sense.

You have the perfect right to your opinion, but you don't make BMW's decisions.
You're absolutely right that I don't make BMW's decisions. If I did, there'd be a Z4 with 6MT here in North America, wouldn't there?

All cheekiness aside, I don't accept your "BMW knows best" premise. While I think they make really great cars for the most part, I don't hold the company in the same institutional reverence that you seem to. In other words, the fact that BMW has chosen (thus far) not to offer a Z4 with 6MT in North American doesn't mean that we should assume BMW made a wise corporate decision. Corporations make bad decisions all the time. I may not have been around as long as you, but I'm old enough to remember the "New Coke" fiasco of 1985. Nuff said.

Last edited by AustinPowers007; 09-20-2020 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0