View Single Post
      09-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #898
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Was it a frivolous purchase when you bought yours? It certainly wasn’t for me and many Corvette owners I know. You’ve just taken the position of full outright denial I’m afraid. The Bowling Green assembly line added another full time shift to crank out C8’s and still the numbers don’t lie. People are scrambling to get the new car, I’ve seen it myself in two local Chevrolet dealers. This Vette is a game changer and C7 sales slowed to a trickle because everyone wants the new mid Vette, even some die hard BMW owners right on this site.
Likely recession? Now you’re really scratching and digging.
I’m pretty sure you’re going to be eating a lot of crow come next year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...eady-sold-out/
First year or two of Corvette sales has almost ALWAYS outpaced prior generations.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...olet-corvette/

Look at 2013 and 2014. Last year of C6 sales vs. first year of C7 sales. Same sales figure also shows what the effect of a recession can do to Corvette sales. Look at the numbers from 2008 to 2012 during the height of the recession. Sales figures went from a respectable 26,xxx units to half that for the next 4 years, 3 years after a VERY popular and ground breaking C6 was introduced.

Numbers don't lie. The interpretation of said numbers do.

As for whether or not my C7 purchase was frivolous? Yes it was. I had a very unique 2 seat sports car in the garage (MZ4 Coupe), between 2 driving adults (myself and my wife) we had 3 cars in the garage at the time (A gasoline ICE, diesel ICE, and a pure plug-in EV). I drive a total of about 4,000 miles a year due to the flexibility to work remote, and mostly in the i3, and in a small family (we have 1 child), the prudent purchase, should we add a 4th vehicle in the family, should have been a nice 4wd or AWD cross-over for the winter trips to the mountains. Had the economy been in the dumps like it was in 2008? The prudent choice would have been for a 4 door sedan or small cross over (which we did, bought a Hyundai Tucson in 2008 and got rid of two BMW to do so). Had I not purchased the C7 last year, my decision would still hinge heavily upon what the economy looks like in the next 6-12 months on whether or not I'd pull the trigger on adding a second stable mate to the MZ4 Coupe. And that justification would be nearly impossible IF we're in any shape or form that the purchase isn't going to just entertain my obsessive need to go fast on a track.

By the way, 2018 sales figures of 18,791 is based on the fact that the factory was shut down for 3 months and is an outlier. Reports of C7 sales having trickled to a near stop is but speculation, as multiple national Chevy dealership has reported the lowest inventory levels on the C7 since their introduction, and that popular colors and option packages are basically sold out nearly 6 months before the first C8 were to be delivered. I suspect 2019 sales would be closer to the 2016 level than the 2018 level when it's all said and done, even though C7 production basically have STOPPED.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0