03-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #355
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Our Governor just put out some shopping guidelines that are pretty straightforward except for the rule about not using re-usable bags. I still don't understand that one. Those bags are no more likely to have the virus on them than your clothing. And since this started, we've been washing our re-usable bags after every trip (although there have only been 3 trips). I'm more concerned with someone touching or sneezing on the store bag that is now next in line for me. Plus we used the re-usables to carry the groceries we need instead of a cart or basket. I literally didn't have to touch anything in the store except the groceries themselves and the damn checkout touch screen.
The problem I have with reusable bags is that I suspect a lot of people never wash them based on what they look like in the store. You are doing the right think but most people sling them into the baskets and go about their business and I'm not sure they ever think about washing them. Then the grocery store worker picks it up, then touches the next person's stuff and so on... Since the coronavirus can survive on both the reusable bag and the plastic bag, the risk to the grocery worker (and those he / she later serves) is theoretically higher on the reusable bag than the plastic bags contained in a controlled environment. Yes, you can eliminate the risk by washing, but there is no way to confirm they have been washed. I think that's all there is to the bans.