View Single Post
      11-25-2018, 01:31 PM   #193
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

I'm a hobby computer builder and build a new one about once every 2 years for fun. I built this machine about a year ago. I'm primarily a FPS player, so my rig is usually way overkill for anything I'm playing, which is currently PUBG and COD BO4.

At the heart of the machine is the Core i7 8700K..., which has shown itself to be an overclocking champion. I ultimately delidded the CPU to achieve 5.2GHZ on an AIO cooler. I've been running her at 5.0GHZ for daily use 24/7 use over the last year.

Other parts include;

EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 graphics card.
Creative AE5 sound card.
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000mhz memory.
3 Samsung SSDs.
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard.
NZXT Kraken water cooler.
Fractal Designs Meshify C case
EVGA G3 850W power supply.

Here's some pics.

First things first. Time to rip apart my brand new CPU. Got my "delidding" tool, and other tools ready.

It basically acts like a guillotine. Clamp it into place, and that little metal plunger forces the lid off.

Please no damage please no damage please no damage!

Success! (I hope). Lid is off and you can see the silicon glue (black) and thermal past between the chip and heat spreader (grey).

Cleaning off all the gunk!

Clean enough for me. Time for new thermal interface material.

I'm using liquid metal. It's a mixture of gallium and indium. A pin head sized drop goes a long way.

Both halves covered. Ready to go into motherboard. I'm opting not to reseal, as the motherboard clamp has sufficient force to hold it together in the machine.

Installed into motherboard, along with memory.

Next the arduous task of just putting all the parts together. Power supply going in.

Motherboard installed into case.

SSDs installed discreetly in back of case.

CPU cooler installed, main power run.

Graphics and sound cards installed. All that's left is initial boot!

She booted first time! w00t! I was so worried about trashing a brand new CPU.

Took about 3 hours to build.

I think I hit the silicon lottery with this chip since 5.0ghz was my goal, but she easily went to 5.2ghz at only 1.4 volts! Chips that could do this were sold at a premium at silliconlottery.com. She passed CPUZ validation and cinebench..., and she only hit 70C! It looks like I have headroom to push her higher if I went with a different cooling setup.

This is her final config. It has all of the RGB stuff, but I'm not too much into that, so I set everything at a blue, except for the water cooler I have it set to rotate blue and red because I think it's cool.

Just a quick crappy vid as she's at full load at 5.2ghz, very very quiet compared to my last machine and it was at only 4.6ghz.

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 11-25-2018 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: youtube link
Appreciate 2
aozer994.50
Dang3r12503.00