Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
A car that has a motor there. The Z4 will just have a gas tank there, so why the bulk?

The Z3 sold well because it was simple, relatively cheap, fun and communicative. Really just a gussied up Miata with a few luxury touches. BMW keeps moving away from this, but not with any direction. They've never been as sporty or capable as a Boxster and they've never been as feminine as a TT or SLC/SLK.

Here's hoping the new one is light, like near 3k pounds, has some actual steering feel and returns some of the rawer edges that made the E36/7 and E85 so fun.
Also agree. I love my E85 and particularly, the silky smooth and responsive inline six under the hood. I'm hoping this new car is going to finally see the Z4 clearly focus on competing with the Boxster, but we'll have to wait and see.
I don't think BMW can match Porsche dynamics. Where my E36/8 M Coupe and the E86 MC had the advantage was that they were less polished, more brutal and more enjoyable than the more clinical and ultimately faster Cayman S and higher specs.

But at least they were in the same field, just with their own character. The E89 was trying too hard to be too many things without really nailing any of them. Let's hope this car gets closer to being a hooligan and further from being a polished, boring thing.
Appreciate 0