View Single Post
      02-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Going solar?

The breadth of knowledge coming from this forum always impresses me, so I want to get some input on this from my fellow bimmerians...

I had an info session with a solar panel firm (Trinity Solar, they been going door to door in my hood). I like the value / economic proposition of solar - if it works as advertised, it will be able to save me a bit money (~70k over 25 years if I finance it). If I pay for it out right (out of pocket about 21k after tax rebate, which is most likely how I would do it if I decide to pull the trigger), should be able to save even a bit more and break even after 7 years or so.

My biggest worry is reliability or potential problems with the system. After-all, it's another construction project, another appliance added to the house, so potentially another problem coming from poorly done installation, potential failure point, maintenance hassles. I have heard horror story about roof leaking after installation. Even most of these firms say they warranty the work, cover roof leak etc, I have heard from a roofer who says he get so many calls from solar owners and it's always a pain to get the warrant work done... I had my share of water damages in houses i owned I'm kinda put off by the addition risk of roof leak… Other problems I’m less concern about, say the inverter stopped working, its covered by warranty and system down for a few days here and there while stuff getting fixed doesn’t bother me that much.

Anyone got wisdom to share?
Appreciate 0