View Single Post
      12-30-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have read that it works best with the supplements they prescribe to support it. It can be used to relieve minor stress and depression in the short term. Moderate to severe depression requires a different approach. I work as a Senior CBT Therapist and I am a great believer in talking therapies. Talking is as effective as medicine and combining it with acupuncture could make for a potent combination to battle the depression. As mentioned here yoga is good. I teach Qi Gong (Tai Chi) and that is good too. A bit like medicine you need to find the talking therapy that works for you. Everyone is different so give it a try. See which one works. Reading books can be helpful but try not to take on too much in one go.

One of the many reason I find some of my clients don't make progress is because they read conflicting material. Light self help is okay but when you have a client attending for CBT and reading up for example about hypnosis or gestalt therapy at home then it can be information overload and you don't always see the benefits of one therapy. So my advice is stick to the one and give it a go before considering the next one. There is a good evidence base for many therapies out there so no one therapy is better than the other it seems. All of them have a different approach and function to get you to your goal of being less depressed. Keep supplemental reading light to things such as basic tips and guidance on self-compassion.

Mindfulness is another alternative. Not for everyone but worth looking into. Try a website like Headspace.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0