10-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #26
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Trying to achieve strength, function and muscle size.

I was doing the HIIT to stay busy when covid slowed work down but now that work has picked back up the HIIT will likely be replaced with pull-ups pyramid (10 9 8 7 6 .... with sit-ups on my non gym days)

Came up with my programming over time seeing what maximizes input/output - sort of a trial and error. For the longest time i wasn't serous about legs because they weren't as flashy but for the past 4 yrs i've gotten more serious about legs.
Hmmmm. Strength, function, and muscle size... Reminds me of quality, schedule, and cost - bottom line you can usually only pick two lol. While focusing on strength and muscle size your functionality drops slightly through the process (usually) - bulk. Strength and function can be maintained through maintenance regimens. Muscle size & function can usually be obtained following a bulk during the cutting process (even though you're dropping in size the proportions usually create the aesthetics you are hoping for). To achieve all three you can cheat - steriods lmao!

In seriousness, the answer to what you want to achieve is time. If you keep your existing regimen and increase calories just slightly it will come, eventually... Look into natural limitations associated with weight lifting. You'll see that the first year will be your best year for adding muscle. As you continue into the endless abyss we call fitness you'll see that after a few years in the game the amount of muscle you can gain in a single year drops drastically. If my memory serves me correctly, after 3-4 years the amount of muscle gain in a single year is around 3lbs.
Appreciate 1