04-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #84
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I have a bike and can say 90% of bike accidents are avoidable. I might ride it a tad aggressively, but I know to stay in front of traffic. I'm always scanning ahead and covering my brakes, I constantly scan for "what if" scenarios and look for exits, lane placement is key. I Make as much eye contact with people in their mirrors as possible. Bike riders aren't given enough respect in the States and aren't considered by most on the roads. They should always be given the right of way like pedestrians and cyclist. In Europe bike riders are more common and are treated differently and with caution.
I used to ride and I agree with you completely - except for the right of way thing, I don't think that could work in practice.

Pushbikes don't get right of way on Australian roads, they're subjected to the same laws as other vehicles.

But I do think speed limits shouldn't apply to motorbikes outside city limits. Bikes can stop and steer at a much faster rate than cars, and a motorbike travelling at 100mph has far less energy than a SUV travelling at 55.

If a motorbike is in an accident, it always comes off second best. Basically, I think lane splitting should be legal, but riders should be at least 50% legally responsible for almost any accident involving them and a car.

I don't think all road rules shouldn't apply to bikes, but I do think a second set of rules should apply which account for the fact that bikes are smaller, faster, more agile than cars, and that riders have much more 'skin in the game' and are basically invisible on the road.
Appreciate 0