View Single Post
      06-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #43
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

my commute round trip is 90 miles per day. I've been riding to work year round since 2006. splitting about 1/3 of that distance.

I'm never the fastest or the slowest. Now that it's warm (squid season) I move over and let alot of bikes pass me as I split. IMO they go too fast meaning a high delta between their speed and flow of traffic. this does not give them time to read drivers they come up on nor does it give them time to react or brake.

rule for me: if you got cars on BOTH sides of you it's safe. once you have an open space on one side keep your senses up.

once I'm above 40mph I evaluate every car like I'm passing it. my throttle is constantly changing.

I don't think I'll do this outside CA. people here driving during commute hours know bikes will be splitting.

I have at least 4-500k miles on two wheels. NEVER have I seen a scared driver swerve INTO the noise that frightened them. there are ALWAYS grumpy old men that honk as you pass. a few passive aggressive type who won't move as they hug the line. by far drivers here are actually courteous to riders who aren't too aggressive.