View Single Post
      07-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Ahh, yes, the red headed step child of the M3's. It makes me laugh to read comments from people who have never driven one or owned one. That the 335 is a better car! That's a funny one.

After owning my e92 M3 for several years, I felt it was time to look at a 1st or 2nd gen M3. I knew someone who had an e30 and I drove it a couple of times. I was not blown away by the experience and the prices were too ridiculous. The e36's were affordable, a step up in power, and were easy to work on. I was lucky to find one that was unmodded and under 80k miles. The person put $7k into the car in less than a year, but was an Audi guy and really wanted a TT. I pretty much stole it from him. I loved the car from the first drive. So much lighter and more nimble than the e92 due to the significant weigh reduction. Within 6 months, I sold my e92. It wasn't being driven much because I preferred the e36. This is coming from someone who did a lot to the e92 and praised it everyday. Yes, we didn't get the engine that Europe got, but at 3100 lbs, the S52 has plenty of power. 3rd gear on this car feels like a turbo engine. Don't be fooled by the 245hp number.

You would be hard pressed to find any car new or used under $13k that handles and performs better than an e36 M3. I have really gotten spoiled by the older, analog driving M cars vs. the more modern electronically controlled versions. It's the same reason I bought an e39. As others have mentioned, I would try to look for a '97-'99. There were more improvements done compared to the earlier models. Spend more time on M3forums.net. They are a lot of great owners on there who know these cars inside and out. You won't be sorry if you buy one. It still puts a smile on my face everyday. Especially, taking exit ramps at 80+ mph's with my PS4's on and having the car planted throughout the whole turn! Good luck with your search.
Nice choices! I'd say the E36 and E39 are great combos!

I've actually come to the realization that those older crops of M's are the most satisfying. My cut off is essentially at the E92 M3.

I'm in fact content enough with what I have that I just put down a deposit for a 2016 Tundra to use as my DD and workhorse. The saying they don't make them like they used to definitely stands.

I think the golden era of cars, at least for me personally ended with cars designed in the early 2000s.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Haywood3100.50