Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullspace View Post
The CarPlay connection is indeed unreliable. It frequently fails to connect.

My connected drive app doesn’t work at all. Not sure if it’s the car or the server. The weather app doesn’t always update properly either.

Otherwise no issues. And these are pretty minor IMO.
I wonder if it is as much (or more so) Apple as it is BMW. I connected my wife’s iPhone (exact same model & software version as mine) to the car as secondary phone, no CarPlay. And it connects just fine every time. Mine is in CarPlay mode and every now and then will not connect (like almost everyone seems to experience from what I read in the forums).

The Connected app has some functions that work quite well (fuel level) and others that don’t - it still shows my car at a location where it was about 3 weeks ago. I used to have a picture of a Z4 and now it just shows a car under a cover.
I always felt that the Connected App is totally useless and after playing around with it a few times in 2015 (when I got my M235), I forgot about it. Now with the G29 I looked at it again - and - no surprise it is still utterly useless! Thankfully, not a critical tool at all.

CarPlay on the other hand I use all the time. I prefer Waze over the BMW Nav, I use Siri for messaging, I have Apple Music subscription etc.
Annoying enough that BMW enforces a subscription model for CarPlay, but then at least it should work!

Over the last few days and 300 miles with the M40i I love the car's power, aesthetics and feel. CarPlay, however, has been highly unreliable. With iOS 13 Apple will introduce lots of improved capability. I hope eventually BMW will fix the iDrive firmware so we can take full advantage of it.