12-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #192
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Separate topic since Efthreeoh and I are holding down this thread:

There's a new even-though-it's-obvs-Tesla-is-wrapping-up-the-auto-market-it's-really-not-you-guys argument out that's, as usual, wrong, but it's also unusually interesting:

What's interesting is the framing: lumping PHEVs with BEVs.

On the one hand those are completely different categories and many don't cross-shop them; I'd be an example of that given I'm considering an X5 45e but wouldn't consider the iX (though maybe the iX3, but still) and I'd certainly not consider any Tesla. Anyway, if you restricted this to BEVs only, Tesla crushes it ... so what's interesting?

Lumping PHEVs & BEVs shows BEVs creeping into ICE territory, something that'll definitely continue to happen in Europe and China, but more slowly in the US.

That's important because whenever I talk to North American Tesla-haters it doesn't occur to them what'll happen to the new car ICE market if & when the EU and China get rolled into xEVs. If the World's largest auto manufacturer is shitting their pants about Tesla's technology they must see an existential GLOBAL threat ...

So suppose NA new car BEV sales stopped right where they are today and never increased. Does anyone believe that will happen in Europe and/or China? No way. So then the question would become how many resource any auto manufacturer would be willing to put into ICE R&D, factories, etc for the much smaller North American market ... given their existential fear of xEVs it doesn't seem like much, especially for a small market ... and if the fanciest new cars are xEVs will North American consumers really stay peaked out? I doubt it.

Anyway, I guess we can include Japan in the xEV market now too
Appreciate 0