View Single Post
      01-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #227
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Tesla has been defying critics since the beginning. Nobody predicted their level of success in number of models and units sold. For them to do this with a propulsion system that was not at all popular is pretty amazing to me. I know from experience that changing consumer behavior is a time-consuming and really expensive proposition. Tesla almost single-handedly changed the behavior of many car buyers who just a few short years ago would never have though of buying an all-electric vehicle. Tesla's accomplishment is staggering in that regard. Tesla has absolutely disrupted the auto industry. Their success has accelerated the plans for established car companies electric product offerings by years.

You mention Porsche as being a company that has beat Tesla out of the gate. I've not driven the Porsche electric product, but it doesn't matter. Most cars are not as good a Porsche. The auto market is huge. Tesla can be wildly successful without being better than Porsche, arguably the best car company in the world in price/performance.

My son has a Tesla 3 dual motor. It is a remarkable car with some obvious weaknesses. Overall, I'm personally impressed by just how good it is.

Tesla is not sitting still. Their continued level of innovation will compete heads up or outrun established car companies going forward. They will never own the market. But, no car company in the history of cars has owned the market. I think they will have a key place in the market and and continue to disrupt the industry.
I would never bet against Elon, but you can talk in generalities and miss the facts. Tesla has made $600M profit in the last 12 months and has an $800B valuation. That is Walmart and Johnson and Johnson combined. It’s Disney, Netflix, and every other car manufacturer...combined. All the companies I mentioned are insanely profitable too.

Walmart made $20B in profit the last 12 months, pays a dividend, and has a global presence.

Tesla has gone fully speculative and even Elon didn’t believe it was worth this much...or he wouldn’t have had “funding secured” at $420/share, or a $75B valuation. Look at the Tesla chart. Has the story changed appreciably from a $100B valuation? They had the model 3 then...the car is fine, but it’s ugly, lacks features, overheats when driven hard, still requires a long time to charge, and has build quality issues.

They will have to be more profitable some day and that day is coming sooner than later.

Elon Musk is a genius, but he’s also a master salesman. He’s not making time machines...he’s making electric cars. It’s impressive, but the technology isn’t foreign or impossible to learn, steal, and improve. Again, Tesla will be just one of many car manufacturers competing for low margins in a tough manufacturing business...just like now.

For Tesla to trade at the current valuation is completely insane and speculative. It absolutely is trading as if it will be the only car people want because it’s worth triple ALL the other manufacturers that make better cars, frankly.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 01-16-2021 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
ASAP10057.00
KRS_SN13106.00