Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
My first significant sale on Getty Images:

Looking down on the world... by dcstep, on Flickr

I only get 20%, but Leo Burnett Worldwide (creators of Tony the Tiger and the Pillbury Dough Boy, etc.) paid $300 for non-exclusive use of this image. The Wall Street Journal also bought another image. The amount paid is based on the intended usage and file size, determined by a complex scale.

Some other guys on Flickr that are doing similar subjects to me, say it takes about 3 to 4 years to build a somewhat reliable cash flow from stock sales through Getty, but I know 2 or 3 that are now receiving in the range from $200 to $600 per month off of around 80 images. I've got 38 images listed so far. They say that the agency sales are the bread and butter of this business. I'm still allowed to sell "products", such as prints and books.

Anyway, it took me a year to get my first significant sale. Hopefully it won't be so long until the next and it'll keep building.

Dave
Congrats and a great shot, well deserving.
Wish you all the best with more and bigger sales.

I went through the process and got approved as a contributor on iStockPhoto but only ever uploaded one image after my 3 "approval process" images (which has never had a sale) about 5 years ago.

I am a software guy and never wanted to make money from photography but I keep playing with the idea of creating a software-as-a-service web gallery that photographers could pay some small monthly amount and get a variety of themes, their own domain, and printing, digital sales, and other income capabilities right on the site and it would use the Flickr API (at first, eventually other sites too) to pull photos so you wouldn't need to double post into your gallery. Haven't put the feelers out to see if this is something anyone would pay for, though, and have been swamped enough with my other projects not to get to this yet
Appreciate 0