View Single Post
      06-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
VintageFD
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & Rx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
And most motor swaps for those cars are another Nissan motor, which is the same manufacturer.

When people yank the rotary out of an FD, they aren't going to the Mazda parts bin for a replacement, which was the point of my original post.

- Poor fuel mileage (think how much heavier your M5 is yet get the same fuel mileage)
- Drinks oil
- Well known for eating apex seals and destroying the motor. It's hard to find an RX7 with over 50k on the original rotary
- Lack of torque
- One of the worst sounding engines out there
- Have to ring the crap out of it to make power, but doesn't even make power at that high of an RPM, especially for such a small motor.

I've never understood the advantage of the rotary, other than to be different.

-Ive never popped a apex seal with over 9 years of ownership and 7 years of hard track work.
-My M5 drinks more oil than the FD. Plus, its not such a big deal to be a shot of oil ever 3 fillups?
-My car makes 320wtq in the midrange. Sees 15psi by 2800rpm and makes 420whp from 6-8.5krpm. Ill share a dynograph later however its no secret that such a powerband is ideal especially the boost response with a large 600whp capable turbo. You dont want monster tq in a track car.
-MPG as long as its not horrendous who cares. Buy a diesel 3 series a DD and call it a day.

But to each there own.
1977 Trans Am Year One 383 stroker (for sale)
Appreciate 0