mdss6
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (ZCP M-DCT) on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The Architecture used for the next generation BMW 3er , 5er , ,7er , X models and the Rolls-Royce Ghost is modular...

...It is in fact similar to what is used in the current 5er , 6er , 7er , X5 etc and that is why we have extended model variation in the BMW 5er Gran Turismo , BMW 6er Gran Coupe and the China only BMW 5er Li.

Then there will be a shared architecture in collaboration with Toyota for a range of sportier models including the next 6er and Z models.
Again this is scalable and modular to be utilised on a range of jointly developed models between BMW and Toyota/Lexus.
Scott, thanks for this further update and clarification. I think platform/architecture sharing has generally been a success for both the customer and industry. Both benefit from more product choices (there are many cars that exist that wouldn't if they had to have a separate engineered platform) and higher quality product (in theory fewer major components it should be possible to put in the resources to make them last longer, and if nothing else replacement parts typically cost less for common parts than specialized ones).

But, frequently one of the prime questions in life is how far to take things. It makes a lot of sense of vehicles of similar size / mass / CG / and structural openings (think sedan vs roadster vs SUV) to share platforms. The more different they are, the less it makes sense. And the more dramatically compromised some version will be. You note BMW's success with the shared 5- and 7-series. And others have noted great success in platform sharing for similarly sized vehicles. But the initial announcement was "all" RWD BMWs will share the same platform, and that raised a lot of concern for some. Certainly it made absolutely no sense to me for the roadsters and the Rolls-Royce Ghost to share the same architecture. One of those was no longer going to be what they had been! So to me there is good news in your confirmation or at least reminder that there will be other RWD BMW platforms. Shared with Toyota in this case. And that is good news.

But to me and others it is bad news that there will not be a small RWD sedan/coupe/hatchback. The VW Golf and Mercedes CLA are great vehicles. But in no way have RWD character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari View Post
For those who want to switch over to Porsche: the Macan shares a platform with the Tiguan and Q5; the Cayenne shares a platform with the Touareg and Q7.

I am fine with platform sharing, say, if the 1, 2, 3, 4, X1, X3, X4 had one chassis and the 5, 6, 7, X5, X6 had another. But having ONE complete chassis from the 116d to the 760Li is kind of ridiculous. One reason why the F10 5 series was criticized for being numb and isolated is because it was too similar to the F01 7 series.
As I noted above, I generally agree platform sharing is a good thing for vehicles of relatively similar properties (and even that can be stretched pretty far). But I also think the final point above is worth reemphasizing as it gets to why so many BMW driving enthusiasts are concerned about this move. Many 5-series buyers are happy with their slightly smaller 7-series that is the F10. As a former E39 owner, the F10 has no interest to me. It is too big, bloated, heavy, numb. Not an enthusiasts car. So the idea of the 3-series being forced onto a platform shared by these two - and a Rolls - is concerning indeed. Some say "wait and see" and I agree can't for sure know the final outcome. But several of those saying there are no worries also report they are driving the big cars, not 1, 2 and 3 series. So pardon me if that does little to allay my concern. Many enthusiasts think the 3-series is already too big and soft. The 7-series based one will be tighter and more direct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It also brings BMW at the forefront of engineering innovation.
The first look at an exciting new future will be celebrated in the form of a new Luxury Concept car that will be unveiled in April ahead of the Auto China in Beijing.
Scott, is this new Luxury Concept car going to be sized like a 7-series? I know you can't give it all away, but the most recent concept I saw was the Lasso Coupe (on the 7-series platform) in Geneva last week, and it was monstrously large. Coupe, yes. Enthusiast targeted, no.

As I final note, I will repeat what I think is good news - BMW will have more than more one RWD platform (at least one shared with Toyota). And we can hope for more? Thanks
Appreciate 0