02-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #3779
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The law of attraction is an interesting concept to discuss when it comes to the topic of CC. Especially on a BMW message board.

For some reason the tremendous increase in CC rubs me wrong. I'm not sure if it's because the evidence shows that more guns are shown to increase violence or if it's because the conspiracy theorist in me wonders whose agenda is it to push your avg American citizen to arm themselves.

I'll tell you my neighbors who are proud CC people sure have some associated pride or dare I say ego that seems to accompany their weapon holding.

Ehhh but what do I know. I grew up in a family where my moms side all had gun racks in their trucks and it was common for their rifles to be in their Chevy on HS campus. I grew up hunting and shooting skeet, birds, deer, ducks, and taught how to breath while aiming, how to clean and care for my guns etc.

Do I feel the need to have guns now? Not particularly, although I may get a shotgun just to have for hunting with my boys once they are older. But arm myself for everyday life? I don't think so. It's your right to carry and that's fine, it just seems awfully in vogue these days.

City ppl who never were around guns now must have one. Like my friend Josh who told me he had one in his glovebox. Cool 👍(sarcasm)

I went to an ANTIFA rally in Austin accompanied by a green beret special forces member - there was plenty of high powered open carry present that day. The vets were heavily armed. The rally was peaceful and for the most part felt safe, these men were clearly trained - or appeared to be.

But John & Jane Smith driving around with a glock?

"evidence shows that more guns are shown to increase violence" - I am still not sure I buy this. I grew up around guns as you did and live in a state that is very welcoming to guns, live in a semi rural area that has LOTS of guns and even work in the shooting industry. So I am around guns literally all the time. I never see violence or even the threat of it.

I think if you think of 500 60 year old country guys talking about fishing and the good old days and then give them all 2 guns each - I think your brain like mine would never expect that to cause any trouble at all. I don't anyway.

Take another 500 guys, young men angry at life and give them a reason to hate 1/2 the group they are in (gangs, religion, politics, name it) and give them all 2 guns each - would you feel the same way? I wouldn't. But if you think of this as a scientific experiment - what changed the situation? It was not the guns right?

My question always falls back to what happened to us as Americans (or human beings for that matter) that we can't handle opposing views on anything? Why do others need to agree with us or die? I don't see guns as the problem. I'd rather give those old guy 2 guns each than toss 25 knives into the other group. The weapon is not the problem to me - the hate is.

Of course that is just my opinion and we all have our own. In my opinion the more non-criminals with firearms and the training to use them the better.