03-06-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
So let me say I know someone who sold a house in San Gabriel, CA for $1 million and then used that money to buy 2 brand new construction houses in Las Vegas. He is renting out the houses for a total of $4000 a month. To me it's not worth it since you have to pay property tax, insurance, HOA, property management. So my estimate is net profit of around $1700 a month and you would have to pay income tax on that so maybe $1300 after tax. That's a whole lot of cash for relatively little in monthly income cash flow. You could just put that $1 million in an annuity and get $5000-$7000 a month with no expenses besides income tax. Or even a high yield savings account will get you around $3300 a month. Not to mention the house he sold must have had a much lower property tax basis so now his property tax may have doubled. And houses in CA are going to appreciate more than in Vegas unless you're talking about the inland empire maybe.
You are squarely touching on two of the principal reasons real estate is not a good investment:

1. Illiquidity
2. Inferior return vs alternatives
Appreciate 1
xander_g1007.50