09-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff01234567 View Post
For seniors, I would bypass BMW altogether and get a Mercedes GLA. The safety features in a Mercedes are much more well-implemented than BMW. In particular, the blind-spot monitor makes an audible beep when another car is in your blind spot, as opposed to BMW which only vibrates the steering wheel. Mercedes' automatic high-beams are also truly automatic, whereas in BMW you have to turn on that function every time you start the vehicle. Lastly, a modern Mercedes interior is MUCH brighter than a BMW interior because of the ambient lighting, making it easier for someone with impaired vision to see things inside the vehicle. These are my unbiased thoughts after owning both BMW and Mercedes late model vehicles.

If reliability and ease of dealership experience is what is more important to them, a Lexus NX may be good. However the blind-spot monitor is not as useful as Mercedes since it does not make any audible sounds. Whatever you do, don't buy a BMW for a senior. I helped my late-50s mother shop for a car a few months ago, and when keeping a senior's needs and perspectives in mind BMW just absolutely does not work.
I am 76 and the BMW works just fine for me. But I would suggest making sure that whatever vehicle you get, it has a suspension that you and any regular passengers find acceptable.

The Merc may be a little harsh. I would suggest checking out a top of the line CX-5 or a Genesis.
Appreciate 0