View Single Post
      01-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Been to the dealer 3 times for oil top offs, had it in twice to check for oil leaks with nothing found. Ended up putting the car on a lift myself and did a visual inspection for about an hour checking everything. Didn't see any leaks. Pulled the plugs on Monday and took pictures of all 6 of them. Cylinder 1 had some carbon buildup, but it wasn't oily. The other 5 looked normal. Showed it to the shop foreman at the dealership just to be sure and he said they all were fine including the carbon buildup on the first plug being isolated. Without showing oil on the plugs, they couldn't use it as proof of an oil leak.

Next thing for me will probably pull the charge pipe between the turbo and throttle body and see if there's oil in there. If it's dry, I will probably take it to an independent shop and have them do a cylinder leak down test to check the rings. Even if that independent shop does find an issue, I'm curious if BMW will still repair at that point. When I had the car in at the dealership, they said the 1qt every thousand miles is normal for FI vehicles and within BMW specs (which I think is a default answer to ease the minds of uneducated customers who don't know modern BMW motors).
Appreciate 0