Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I thought avoiding high (future) oil and fuel consumption was the main reason you should keep the revs down during break-in? It gives the piston rings and cylinder walls time to bed in, otherwise you will likely get a bad fit from imperfections in the manufacturing process.
Modern cylinders and rings don't really need to "bed in" to the extent they did in the old days. tolerances are way tighter and surfaces are much more finely finished. Many, many knowledgeable people have opined that driving a car hard during break in helps the rings "seat" and creates a better performer with less oil consumption. I've rebuilt many engines and our brake in procedures for our race bike motors was to ride it until it was up to temp, give it a few hard pulls and then shut it down.....ready to race after that.

My personal opinion is that short of doing something really stupid (sustained full throttle or sustained high rpm use), it doesn't really matter. Consider that if you buy a vehicle off the lot, it's likely been test driven.....I don't know about all of you but when I test drive a car, I want to see what it's got so after warming it up, I give it a couple full throttle pulls to see what it can do. This is common and you don't hear of a bunch of warranty failures and repairs for cars that have been test driven, nor does the dealer typically even mention how to drive the car.

some reading: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 0