View Single Post
      12-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #154
DrSecretan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejedi View Post
DrSecretan I have the exact same issue regards a plastic clicking noise coming from where the roof meets the windscreen. Mines been into 2 dealers for this problem and they’ve replaced the push-clips which hold the plastic trim to the roof but this hasn’t resolved it.

I reckon it’s the plastic roof trim either being too tight to the roof (no play). But the noise only started after about 6k miles and after I noticed that one of the clips felt as though it had detached on the left hand side; when I pushed the trim against the roof lining with my hand ( it’s seemed to pop in then when I pressed on the right hand side of the trim it’d pop back out).hence the dealers replacing the clips/studs/press rivets.

Now it doesn’t do pop in or out but the Geiger-counter type clicking noise is still there.

It has to be the trim rubbing it too close fitting to another plastic part. It’s definitely the roof trim.

If I get a solution I will post but I will be taking it back to the dealers in Jan.
Hmmmm, I wonder if it is the same issue we have. My noise is definitely not a Geiger-counter kind of noise - mine is just a single click which happens when going over uneven road surfaces.

My and the dealer's first thought was that it was the plastic at the front of the roof moving against the plastic at the windshield where the two meet. However, after some investigation I'm pretty sure they don't actually touch each other. I taped a piece of cloth to the plastic behind the seal at the windshield, then closed the roof and tugged the cloth. I expected it wouldn't budge because the roof clamps so tightly to the windshield, but it came right down with zero effort.

I'm now thinking it's either something simple like a clip that's loose, or it's the lock drive behind the little plastic hatch that's loose. I'm going to do some further investigation and put it into the dealer in January. Part of me wonders if the loose door card could be contributing - I know it's a completely different part of the car but I just wonder if one bit being out of alignment and putting the incorrect pressure on other bits of the car can throw the whole thing out of whack - probably wishful thinking!

That's annoying that you've not had any luck at either dealer. Have you tried escalating it to BMW UK?
Appreciate 0