08-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #54
vautrain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It's a bit of a myth that SUV are jacked up wagons, they are very distinct vehicles.

All things being equal, an SUV will have a bit more back seat room whilst the wagon will have a larger floor plan in the boot (trunk).
This is spot-on, but there are some vehicles people think of as SUV's that really are jacked up wagons. I had a 2004 Subaru Forester XT, that SUV was really a tall (as in, tall roofline) jacked up wagon (based on the Impreza platform), with tremendous cargo volume for its size. I could easily fold the rear seats and throw in a bicycle (without removing the front wheel) and a bunch of other stuff and be on my way. It was quick, too, tested at 240-some HP stock, which could propel the lightweight vehicle to 60 in about 5 seconds. But it felt unsteady over 120.

More to the point, there will always be a market for quick or even fast wagons. MB and Volvo are tapping into it (in the US). The 535 E61 was a pretty fast wagon, too (for the heavy clunker it was), it's too bad no E91/F31 equivalent existed/exists in the US.
Appreciate 0