04-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
No I got your point, you completely missed mine. It doesn't matter what the facts are, brand perception in the luxury market plays a larger role than it probably should. If he still thinks the cars are for octogenarians living in Florida, being condescending and saying he's wrong won't convince him that he should look at a Cadillac when he's in the market for a new car, same goes with a lot of other people.

I do remember Audi almost going belly up, guess who heads Cadillac now? The guy who's credited with turning Audi around. The problem I stated above and in my previous post that completely went over your head is exactly what Johan de Nysschen at Cadillac is tasked with doing, turning around that brand perception. That Cadillac no longer builds cars for people who will probably die within the next decade, that it does build cars that are comparable to BMW and Audi and that consumers should look to them as a viable alternative.

Maybe you do, but like you implied...you're old.
I'm not sure you did. The quote being "Sounds intriguing, yet I struggle visualizing a scenario with me owning a Caddy, short of waking up retired somewhere in Florida, starring at the wrong side of 80..." Says nothing about quality, or value of the current Cadillac offerings, but rather some stupid perception that Cadillac cars target market is 80-year olds, which hasn't been a relevant argument for the past 15 years or so. If the OP chooses to be ignorant regarding the driving quality of a current-day Cadillac, then he's possibly really just a badge whore anyway, and the lost qualities that used to make BMW the driving "envy of the world", is lost on him. A nice, soft-riding, poor steering, and lousy-braking, I-drive-centric, luxo-barge F30 is probably just the right car for him.

I'm old enough to remember when Mercedes Benzes used GM automatic transmissions, and wise enough not to limit my car choices to only the ones that have a Roundel on the hood, or only come from Germany. I find it amusing that once Cadillac has beaten BMW at its original game (excellent handling) the auto magazines all of a sudden start judging the beloved Roundel-brand by the design and usability of it's infotainment system.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-08-2015 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0