View Single Post
      11-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #69
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gi View Post
It looks good. I am sure IRL it will look even better. This is proven to be always the case.
However, the range...oh God please why 300 miles on a vehicle this size? So I guess it will be a competitor of Tesla model X which at the moment has 370 mile range and they talk about some new batteries giving range of 400+. Wondering if BMW will make software upgrades over the air like Tesla improving range and other stuff.
I'm looking for a EV replacement of my X4 and was looking at model Y and secretly hoping that BMW will give us something even better not more expensive. When Tesla start production of model Y in Europe I believe its range would increase to 350 or at least I hope so. Current range of 326 miles for me personally is the very bottom I would look for but at this price is not that bad.
I've been following many EV vloggers and what I have learned is even 300 range is not that bad although it is on the low for me. Usually, what you should look for is your daily commute which it is probably 90% of your trips. On long journeys you can't make 500 miles without a single stop to rest so doesnt really matter as the charging speeds now are high. Personally, when I do long journeys I stop ever 310-370 miles but never done more than a 700 miles trip without stopping for a sleep.
Why is this truly important? We are so preconditioned to always choose whatever is "best".

530hp is better than 500hp.
350 miles is better than 300.
0-60 in 3 seconds is better than 4 seconds.

I'd never purchased an ICE and said "this one gives me 500 miles to the tank, and the other one 350, so the 500 miles one is better".

If 300 mile range is sufficient to you, then there is no argument. Unless you are constantly driving 300-350 miles every day, this should be irrelevant.