View Single Post
      10-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
It's whatever you want it to mean. I have seen a lot of arguments that if you still have an income from something you do, then you are not retired. This comes up a lot in the Mr. Money Mustache community. He says he retired at 38 but he still runs a blog that makes him $400k a year. Is that retired? Who cares, it sure beats working 100 hours a week.

I retired from the military in 2008. Had a great run of 20 years flying fighter jets. What a blast. I got a job as a military contractor selling stuff to the military. Been doing that for 12 years and I am ready to retire from that @ 55. What's next? Not sure yet. The numbers say I'm FI (financially independent), so that's a good thing. But I want to help others and really want to save dogs. So I am searching for the next phase. I will never stop doing something. But I will have retired twice.
Well said: when people say retiring, do they mean from the daily grind so they can pivot to doing something they enjoy? If I really enjoy what I do today, do I need to retire?

I've always thought of retiring as the guy who plays golf all day and sits around reading his newspaper on the front porch. That will never be me...
Appreciate 0