View Single Post
      05-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #15
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This is a serious rabbit hole.

Firstly i'd avoid a set and by one at a time and no need to go nuts. Key consideration is a handle. Wood, metal, textured plastic or soft grip handle? I have them all but some have a strong preference. TBH the wood looks great but the best is a soft handle in terms of avoiding slippage, followed by textured plastic.

Second is the bolster (google it), do you want one or not. It is MUCH less likely you will hurt yourself with one but it is easier to sharpen without one.

Third is sharpening, purists will gasp but you need a certain skill to use a proper honing rod and wet stones, get the angle off by one degree and it's all over. I just use this and it is absolutely FANTSTIC https://chefschoice.com/collections/...es-model-315xv

Next is Japanese Vs European. Japanese knives use a 15 degree sharpening angle, europeans use 20 degrees. Euro manufacturers are now offering 15 degree alternatives. 15 degrees is EXTREMELY sharp but prone to damage, a touch fragile and not great for anything like a bone or grit.

Now the knives themselves, here is what I have but YMMV.

- 8 inch workhorse euro chef's knife, soft handle, sharpened to 15 degrees but thicker, sturdier euro blade (no image), traditional large Euro bolster.

- 8 inch Shun chef knife so when i need super sharp it is on hand and I don't need to sharpen on the fly, also use for carving (no bolster)

- 5 inch Misono trimming knife. Multi purpose but I use exclusively to fillet fish or trim fat off meat, not as a workhorse

- Zwilling Pro S 10 inch don't fuck with me knife. Euro bolster, but 15 degree angle and japanese in style (thinner blade). Use for Cabbage, pumpkin, watermelon etc...

- Rubber handled paring knife, this knife needs to have a very secure handle give the way it is used.

I also have a bread knife and serrated knife but TBH, don't spend good money, seriously they are dime a dozen just get the right grip (non slip).

One not on zwilling/henckles, read up on them as their naming convention is WEIRD and they go from cheap garbage to exquisite knives so know your levels here. German made is better naturally.

For storage I recommend an in drawer knife block for safety and blade protection.

Last edited by Alfisti; 05-10-2021 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 4
jmack548.50
Littlebear3509.50
M_Six16963.50
mc-m3213.00