View Single Post
      02-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
In a couple years, I'm going to be shopping for a car to get me to the end of ICE vehicles which I suspect will be about 20-25 years from now. I have two toy cars now, my 128i and a Bullitt Mustang. My wife and I share an Outback and she has a new Civic. I plan to keep my toys as long as I can get parts to maintain them, but I'm looking for my last daily driver.

I hate most new cars. I hate nannies, I hate touch screens, I hate CVTs, and get off my F%#@in' lawn! The only new cars that interest me are an STI, Civic Type R, M2, BRZ, and maaaaybe a 370Z. I'm also open to low-mileage used cars that are easy to work on and reliable enough to last 25 years with some maintenance.

Rules:
1) Must be a manual
2) Can't be more than around $40k
3) Needs to be comfortable enough for a daily driver and occasional road trips

My musings...
2015-ish Tacoma V6--available with a manual, sans nannies, lasts forever, but shit gas mileage. Not fun, but damn useful.
2015-ish Shelby GT350--amazing track weapon, but harsh on the street and I don't know about 25 year longevity.
E46 M3--Yeah I wish. Perfect car for me, but longevity is definitely in question. I wouldn't call it easy to maintain either and $$$.
Subaru BRZ--Fun, cheap, and easy to maintain. Not a great long-distance tourer though.

Dark horse candidates
2021 Bronco 2 door--It will probably be packed with gadgets and gizmos, but maybe not. Also rumored to have a manual option.
Totally restored/restomodded 240Z--I cut my teeth on a '76 280Z. It was my first car. Easy to maintain, fun, eternal classic. Would need modern AC, but doable. Simple enough I could probably keep it running 25 years. Not very comfortable though and prices are getting up there.
Mercedes W124 500E--I've always wanted one of these. One got away from me and I never got over it. Built like a tank, but it's already 25 years old. It's not a manual, but I'd make a rare exception for one. Could I keep it running reliably for another 20 years. Hmm...

What other ideas have you got???
Chevy SS(total sleeper, comfortable but handles well and has an LS engine)
STI
GtI
Camaro SS 1le- decent ride quality, comparable performance to gt350 but cheaper and more reliable.
Lexus isf- reliable,v8 good driving car but no manual
Appreciate 0