11-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #47
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Can some of you more experienced photographers direct me with composition? Is this something that I just "learn" as I take more pictures? What can I do to improve?
Someone suggested taking photography classes.. I guess I should start there.
I've started out with a point and shoot camera back 5 years ago and started to take interest in photography.. I purchased my first SLR camera ( canon XSI ) and have only shot mostly in auto mode.. When I should have used manual or AP or TV mode. I started to get bored and lost interest because I wasn't improving. Recently I sold my aged XSI and got the 70D with kit lens.

I also have a canon EF-S 55-250mm lens with f/4.0 - 5.6 telephoto lens that I bought long ago but have not really used it much.

Should I invest in a canon 50 mm f/1.8 fixed focal length lens? I can get one from Amazon for $110! All the pictures in this thread were shot with my kit lens - Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM Lens.

Thanks
Rule of thirds is a good starting point. Interesting perspective makes for good composition. As an example: Taking auto pictures from a kneeling position looks more attractive than at the usual standing height. That slight perspective change adds interest. Carry it over to other subjects as well.