Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Thanks guys for the tips.. I've just purchased the 50mm canon lens ( newer version ) I guess the L version is suppose to be a better lens? I actually understand the rule of thirds but now that I think about it.. I don't really think about my shots and how I picture the frame to be. I just go in a start shooting since the camera is digital and I don't worry about having to process the film like the old days. I guess I should start to plan my shots, think about the shot and how I would like it to come out and have a lot of patience.

One thing I can't still grasp is there is all these different types of lens and I understand the concept of a Zoom, macro, and fish eye lens / wide angle lens.. but I don't understand why there are different mm lens. For instance my kit lens 18-135mm would cover the 50mm lens that I just purchase right? Why would I need different lens that fall into the 18-135mm range?
That was my point. You don't need a prime lens when you've got a zoom that covers the focal length, EXCEPT when you need a really large aperture to limit DOF. That can be especially true when shooting portraits or in car photography. Note in Mike's pix that he's got portions of either the FG or BG OOF.

I think you're likely to notice improved quality between your 50mm and your kit zoom. That's not so true with L-series zooms, but I'm hoping that you'll experience the impact that a high quality lens can have. Unfortunately, then you'll be addicted to the song of the L-series and nothing else will do. Oh well, we'll worry about that when it happens.

Even with your primes, be sure to use Digital Lens Optimization when you convert your images from Raw. It'll make every image look sharper.

Don't rely on post processing to do all your framing. You have to get the important elements in the in-camera shot. I'll purposely allow a little room around a subject so that I can do a final edit. I take shots knowing that I'll crop 2:1 or 5:2, but I try to picture the final image as I take the in-camera. Still, you need to think of the final shot as you take the original shot.

Dave