08-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post

I hate it too. Certain cars were always offered in manual only. I loved that exclusivity because it always weeded out the status guys that cant drive or dont want to drive stick. Now, almost all the cars are offered in auto/DCT. Thank God Ford didnt put an auto in the GT350.
My first car was a 6spd. Then I had several others (including Boosted Civics / EVO IX / 350z), because at that time I could shift faster than the auto option. I had my first DCT with the F80 M3 (it's unlike any auto I've owned). It's a game changer. While the guys at the track miss-shift once or twice per session with the traditional gear boxes, mine was flawless.

Going fast doesn't mean you need to have a 6spd anymore. There's more to it then showing off your heel-toe skills. There's cornering/gas feathering/steering/braking, shifting is just one aspect of putting down serious lap times. Not embracing the fact that DCTs are faster is like saying you prefer to change your TV channel manually, because remotes are for pussies.

The F1 cars are using Auto by the way.

As for HP as a status, it's a no-brainer. People buy things to feel special, being exclusive or unique, and for enjoyment. No one wants to buy something that everyone has. No one needs more than 300HP for everyday driving. But it's much more fun to have more power and something that not many people have. That's how night clubs are able to charge $500 for a $30 bottle of Grey Goose in the VIP section, because people spend money to feel special. Deep down inside, you have a BMW because it makes you feel special/unique as not many of your friends have one (with the spec sheets and performance results aside). It's a bonus that BMWs are enjoyable to drive and very luxurious.

If I had the means, would I buy a Bugatti Veyron? Ummm... YES and you would too.

Last edited by JNoSol; 08-12-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0