Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrionFawkes View Post
My wife and I performed a nearly identical shopping and comparison session between the F-Type Convertible P430, a 718 Boxster S, and the Z4 M40i. However, I started at the Z4 after consuming a significant amount of online reviews and comparisons between all three cars. I only considered the Jag and Porsche after my wife expressed a desire to experience the differences for herself. I am very happy that we did!

After an entire day of bouncing between the three cars, she ended up agreeing that for the money, the Z4 provides an incredible experience. She had a hard time rationalizing the additional cost to step into F-Type or Boxster, other than "But, Jaguar (or Porsche)." The price gap between the Z4 and Boxster felt even more glaring when you considered that for the cost, you had this sense of diminishing returns (performance wise) for each additional dollar spent on the Porsche. Not to mention the lack of options and features on the 718, that either came standard on the M40i, or for considerably less money.

We placed an order that evening, for a Misano Blue over Cognac M40i with all Packages, 19" 800M wheels, Active Cruise Control, and the Moonlight Black soft top. It went into Production on May 23rd, with an estimated completion date of June 7th. By my estimates, the car should arrive around mid-July.
The "A la carte" ordering of a Porsche is indeed a painful experience where every little thing (crests on headrest, colored center caps, etc. etc. to infinity) adds up QUICKLY. A decently equipped 718 Boxster S was $115,000 Can. but it certainly didn't have everything. by comparison, the M40i had all the performance goodies standard and the Premium package had everything else we wanted for around $80k. Our dealer ended up finding a Z4 already en route that was in the colors we wanted plus the premium pack and the driver assistance package (which we didn't really care about but...) so we should have it in about 4 weeks. :-)

I will admit that I really liked the way the Porsche drove but, as I said, I was less enamored with the engine/sound.

I loved my Jag and it turns heads like an exotic but I really wanted something lighter and more dynamic to drive. ...the Jag was blisteringly fast but was 3850 lbs....and the AWD versions are even heavier with many tipping the scales at 4,000+ lbs. I would note that mine was a V8 - it appears that the Z4 M40i should edge out the F type V6S in most any speed contest. The F type V6S's weigh in around 3700 lbs. The M40i is supposed to be 3443 and yeah, the Porsche is the lightest at about 3150, but with the 50/50 weight balance and 30+ hp ( and 60 ft lbs) more I'm not unhappy with the Z4's feel and performance.

Ours is Black Saphire with the Magma leather and the 800m wheels.

Cheers,
Dave
Appreciate 1